Sunday, August 22, 2010

FLASHBACK || a time to shine.

As I said in a previous post, I'd been reading through my old blog I kept on Xanga and that I'd share some posts (via FLASHBACKs) that I wrote over there. These are a bit more personal than what's been on . . . and i drink cups of tea lately. Even though I'm in a totally different place than I was when I wrote these posts two or three years ago, some of the feelings I still have and/or struggle with. Like this one:

every woman has the right to feel beautiful.

i used to think that every girl would have a time to shine. the right to be adored, fawned over, cherished, and courted.
i still try to hold out for that: my time to shine.
but every day for twenty-two years i wake up: still with a sparkle in my eye, a glimmer in my mind, and a glint in my soul -- but never shining. i wake up matte. the same as the day before and the day before that.

and what hurts most are my loved ones who are waiting to shine as well. who have thier light stolen or stuck in the shadows or someone else's glimmer is just that bit brighter. and they hurt. for they genuinely want a light shined on them, while others were able to be born into the limelight.

i want to shine. i wait (im)patiently for the day when i will be the girl in the room who shines. the unconventional, unsafe, sometimes unaccepted one, lost in the shadows. i will come out and shine. as myself. no one else.

sometimes i don't believe it. and waking up everyday is harder and harder to do. i want something, no, i feel i need something--that flicker, that gleam.

Still haven't really gotten that spotlight, may never have it. I'll probably not be the girl juggling three suitors and avoiding three more. I am a lot more content with the fact that I'm not outrageously gorgeous and I don't have that aura that just draws men to me like moths to light. I can't say that, sometimes, it's not discouraging to look in the mirror and see one thing that never really gets seen beyond that. But, I'm learning to be happy with myself. I'm also learning how to get beyond my extreme shyness. And whether or not having self-confidence brings more flirty-times/dates/phone number/ phone calls, I'm liking this feeling of liking myself.

But then there's still a tiny part of me that would like to be "That Girl." Even for a short time. But it's tiny.



No comments:

Post a Comment